Monday 10 August 2009

Hand Visualisation

Dear Bridge Player,

Setting the scene
Some months back, I was playing a teams match in a Dublin league with Ireland's top player Tom Hanlon (Kinder). We were up at half time and we were coasting through the 2nd set. This was the final hand.


Vul All
4th in hand you hold
♠ AQ
xxx
Kxxx
♣ AQxx


The BankerKinderThe JudgeYou
1Pass1♠X
2NT33♠Pass
3NTPassPassX
PassPass4♠All Pass

You might say that I was a fool for doubling 3NT and a coward for not doubling 4♠.

If so,you may be right.

I lead the K and The Banker tabled ...

♠ x
AKQxx
Axx
♣ KJxx

The Judge won in Dummy dollowed in hand,then he lead a spade to the King and Ace.

What Next?
When I say dummy I was not hopefull. My thinking at the time was - declarer has six or seven spades stiff diamond. The Clubs are onside and he has a source of tricks, let's call it a night.

Lesson
Mental lasiness. Failure to complete the visualising of the hand.

Solution
At this point I ahould bang down the Ace an another club and give him a ruff for the setting trick.

Here is the full hand ...

Board 32
Vul All
Dealer West
xxxx
xx
QJxxx
xx
x
AKQJx
Axx
KJxx
KJT9xx
xxx
x
Txx
AQ
xxx
Kxxx
AQxx

Kinder is a entertaining guy and he didn't lose his opportunuty ...
"I expected you to get that."
How cutting :)

Reflection
My decision to double was probably marginal knowing that we were unlikely to win the auction holding the minors. This goaded Tom to risk life and limb with 3. This in turn gave me a blueprint of the hand and failed twice to go positive.

We played well in general and blasted the opposition into outer space and all I did on the way home was kick myself.

Very Rueful.

2 comments:

Rueful Rabbit said...

You can always beat the contract as long as you don't lead trumps.

eamon Galligan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.